Monday, August 25, 2014

Who Am I? Part 3: 1st and 2nd Corinthians


Hey, it's Kate here!

So, its been a few weeks longer than promised since my last post, but everyone else's were so good I hope you didn't even notice :)

What's been going on in my life.... hmm... Well, I'm going to Rio Rancho High School every day now for the first 3 periods so I can take Art, Drama, and Women's Choir! It's so much fun.
I'm also in my school play "Almost, Maine", and our one act "Andromeda's Galaxy". Auditions went well, but since I'm new I am just an understudy for one of the Characters in Almost, Maine (Which means I am guaranteed at least one performance) and I am a baby named Darla in Andromeda's Galaxy. Both are great parts considering its my first time there, and it is likely people will drop out of both plays so I might get an even better part after all.



Let's see, last month we talked about our identity without Christ (click here) and what John and Romans have to say about our identity in Christ (and here). Now we're going to see what 1st and 2nd Corinthians have to say- which are 2 of my favorite books in the Bible by the way.

First Corinthians 1:2 say that we have been sanctified- the dictionary says that to ‘sanctified’ means “to give something holy status; to free someone from sin; to bless something; or to approve something.”  That means you are holy, you have been freed from sin, you are blessed, and God approves of you.  It’s awesome that in one word God tells you that you are all of those things.

Verse 3 tells you that we have been placed in Christ by God’s doing- many hear the Word of God but only he can open your heart to believe it.

A friend once expressed a worry to me- she said “What if I’m not one of God’s chosen?”  In other words- what if I’m not meant to go to heaven?  Well, let me tell you, if you ever ask yourself that question you have already answered it.  I’ll clarify that- the simple fact that you care about being his child means you are one.  There is no need to worry- God has placed that desire to be with him in your heart, and that means you belong to him.

The second half of that verse says that Christ is now our wisdom from God, our righteousness, your sanctification (there’s that word again), and our redemption.

Have you ever had some piece of wisdom that you couldn’t have known?  I’m not talking about fortune telling or hunches- I’m talking about that advice you gave to your friend that was just what she needed to hear.  Jesus is our wisdom from God, he gives us understanding and knowledge that can surpass our own, and it can really be a relief to be able to rely on his understanding instead of my own.
1 Corinthians 2:12 tells us that we have received the Spirit of God into our lives so that we might know the things freely given to us by God.  It is an extension of what 1 Cor. 1:3 said, it also means that we now can know what’s right, and what God has given us in his love.

1 Corinthians 2:12 tells us that we have received the Spirit of God into our lives so that we might know the things freely given to us by God.  It is an extension of what 1 Cor. 1:3 said, it also means that we now can know what’s right, and what God has given us in his love.

Verse 16 says that we have been given the mind of Christ.  When we truly reside in him, we no longer want to sin.  Actually, it doesn’t mean that we will never ever want to sin again, but that we will be able to resist sin better when we rely on him.

Chapter 3, verse 16 and chapter 6, verse 19 says that we are a temple of God; he spirit dwells in us.  This is an extension of the last verse- his spirit dwells in us, and sin does not.  6:17 follows the same theme- we are joined to the Lord and we are one spirit with him.

1 Corinthians 6:19 and 6:2 say that we have been bought with a price; we are not our own- we belong to God.  That price was Jesus’ life- we should be more than grateful to live for him.  And remember- the only person’s opinion that should matter to us is his.

2 Corinthians 1:21 says that we have been established in Christ and anointed by God- we are special to him, we are set apart and are loved immensely.

Chapter 2 verse 14 says he always leads us in his triumph in Christ.  When we trust in him, he leads us to his triumph- which isn’t always our version of triumph, but it is always better.

Chapter 5, verses 1, 4, and 15 say that since we have died to this world, we no longer live for ourselves, but for Christ.  Like I said before, we should be thrilled to live for him- he saved us and died for us, and we owe him absolutely no less.

Verse 17 declares that we are a new creation.  This one means a lot to me, because it means that my past mistakes don’t affect me or define me- that person is dead, and I am a new person.

Verses 18 and 19 announces that we have been reconciled to God and that we are a minister of reconciliation.  That means we have been brought back to God, we are no longer separated from him, and that it is our mission to witness to others.

To close, I just wanted to say that I hope this impacts you as much as it is impacting me.

So what verse or point stood out the most to you? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment