Monday, November 24, 2014

Commonly Missinterpreted Bible Verses


 
Hey ya'll! Its Emma again!
Of all the months that I have said were crazy, this one takes the cake. My baby brother Evan was born on November 6th, and I got to be there for the majority of my mom’s labor and birth. We also had Kate & Julia’s mom (our Aunt Becky) and our Papa Harry stay for a few days.

I’m also dog sitting for the next couple days, and I’ve been getting more babysitting jobs. I’m getting better and better at making coffees at the coffee bar we have at our church, and next week I’m going to be the main person doing it!

We also found out that the Moberlys should be able to come visit us on December 7th!

On the crochet side of my update, I have several almost done projects. I’m making a Belle doll for a friend, a blanket for Evan, a Mickey Mouse inspired throw pillow and am still working on a custom order for our Etsy. Pictures will be up next month!

Today for my blog post, I decided to write about some of the verses/passages in the Bible that are commonly misinterpreted. This is a subject I find really interesting, and I love researching about it. So lets just jump right in!

 

Leviticus 27:1-7

Basically people are saying that men are worth more than women, because here they have more monetary value.

Ha. Ha. Ha. No. That is not what they are saying.

First of all, men were worth more then. That’s why women had to fight for their right to vote in the early 1900s. Men are STILL viewed as more in a lot of countries still.

This is just how it was back then, it is merely history that the Bible is accounting.



1 Timothy 2:9

“Women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel with modesty and self control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire.”

Paul is not prohibiting the wearing of jewelry (see 1 Peter 3:3-4). The principle is that women should not dress seductively, and that they should focus more on inner beauty.

To me this verse means that it is absolutely fine that my ears are double pierced or that I wear rings everyday. I dress modestly and shop mostly at thrift stores, so I am good on the literal part of that verse J. However one thing that does stand out to me about this verse is that Paul says that we should focus more on inner beauty. If I do everything right by the rest of that verse but am conceited, then I am certainly doing something wrong.




2 Kings 6:28-29

These verses tell of two women who agreed to kill their sons and eat them. On the first day, the first woman killed her son and they both ate him. On the second day, the second woman hid her son so the other woman couldn’t eat him.

The Bible NEVER says that this is ok.

Again, it is simply history. This famine was so bad that people ate their own children and tricked each other.




Crazy Leviticus Laws

I’ve seen multiple lists that basically say “Well, Leviticus also says not to do all of these things that you do, so why can’t homosexuality be ok?”

Leviticus 19:19 – “you shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind”

Leviticus 19:27 – “you shall not round off the hair on your temples”

Leviticus 19:28 – “you shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves”

Leviticus 11:10-11 – “But anything in the seas or the rivers that have not fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living that are in the waters, is detestable to you. You shall regard them as detestable; you shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall detest their carcasses.”

There are many other verses like these out there, but these are some of my favorites and the ones I’ve heard of several times.

You have to look at the background information of these verses. These are all things that the Canaanites did. God wanted the Israelites to be set apart. Holiness requires Israel not to act like the pagans in many areas of life.




Deuteronomy 22:5

“A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord, your God.”

This is not saying that we can’t wear unisex clothing or that a woman can’t wear her boyfriend’s jacket. It also doesn’t condemn my men’s Captain America shirts J

It prohibits transvertism (like drag) and also has to do with pagan temple prostitution.




1 Timothy 2:15

“Yet she will be saved through childbearing”

Paul is not saying that a woman will be saved by having children or that that is where their worth comes from.

The New Testament also uses the term “saved” in the sense of progressively coming to experience in aspects of salvation. People are “saved” when they persevere and endure in the faith to carry out the Lords calling in their life. Child bearing is a unique example to women, and has quite a bit of enduring involved.
 
I hope you liked learning more about the weird verses in the Bible, and hopefully you understand some things more then you did before. Leave us a comment below telling us a verse that you would like to know more about, or one that you have researched about!
 
Love, Emma :D
 

No comments:

Post a Comment