Monday, October 6, 2014

5 Reasons to Stretch


Hey guys, it's Julia! This past month has been crazy but great! I got fitted for pointe shoes at dance, I saw the musical Wicked for the first time (I LOVED it, of course), and I almost mastered a front limber (handstand into a bridge)!

So let’s start with my blog post!



 

I’m a dancer and I also practice acrobatics and gymnastics tricks at home. Stretching and flexibility are a big part of dance, acrobatics, and gymnastics so I try to stretch every day. Here are 5 great reasons why you should stretch too!

1. Stretching helps dancers, acrobats, contortionists, gymnasts, runners, football players, and many other athletes.

2. Stretching improves posture and gracefulness which, by extent, improves confidence.

3. Certain poses improve strength (as in yoga).

4. Stretching gives you plenty of tricks to show off.

5. And what flexibility is all about; it increases your range of movement.

What do I wear?

This is pretty easy. Something comfy! Whether it’s sweatpants and a t-shirt or yoga pants and a tank top, just anything comfy!  It's a good idea to wear socks when stretching unless you are doing something like a bridge where you need to grip with your feet. Also make sure our hair is pulled up and clipped back out of your face and that you keep a water bottle nearby.

 


Some good stretches

Here are some tips for not injuring yourself when stretching:

1.  Make sure to get your muscles warmed up and blood flowing by doing jumping jacks or something beforehand.

2. Be sure to keep proper posture when stretching.

3. Start slow and stretch gently. Never push to the point of pain (there should be discomfort but not pain) and don’t bounce.

4. Make sure to alternate between pointed and flexed feet. Some dancers just perform stretches with the toes pointed and don't alternate between flex and point. This can create an imbalance in the body, if the feet do not get stretched the other way as well.


5. Hold each stretch for at least 20 seconds. I hold my splits and stuff for 2 minutes, but I'm pretty advanced

6. The mind controls the body.

That’s it for this month’s blog post! Here are a few websites to check out if you are interested in becoming more flexible:



Also check out my Pinterest, I have a stretching board, dance board, and acro/gymnastics board:

No comments:

Post a Comment