Monday, July 14, 2014

5 Moments You Have With Little Kids

Hey, it's Kate!

So this week has been a little crazy-

Emma and Bailey (and Family) are on their way to Disney Land for a few days, and we are dog sitting their two Beagles. My Grandparents just returned from their mission work overseas, my dad went back to Chicago for a few days for work, and I went to youth group for the first time.

But the icing on the cake was Saturday afternoon.

I was babysitting so my parents, grandparents, and aunt and uncle could go look at some RVs. During naptime my little sister, Sophie, found some acrylic paints and silently painted herself (from the tips of her hair to the bottom of her feet) and a 4 by 4 (or possibly 6 by 6) foot area of carpet in my closet/bedroom.

She came downstairs covered in what looked like mud. I sent Julia upstairs to check out my room, while I took Sophie outside to hose her off. Not only had she covered all her skin in paint, but she had covered both sides of her clothing in it too.

After rinsing her off, I went upstairs and proceeded to scrub the paint out of my carpet for two hours- and eventually had some help from my Uncle once they returned from RV shopping. (Hint: get the carpet soaking wet, and use tons of carpet cleaner and rubbing alcohol.)

It wasn't funny at the time, but now that I look back at it, it was pretty funny. And that, actually, brings me to the first of 5 moments you have with little kids.

1. The disaster
The most typical version, and often the first, is when they take their poopy diaper off and rub it everywhere.  Other times its food, nail polish, markers, juice, or any number of other things. At the time you panic, but oftentimes the memory brings laughter or at least a smile.

2. So Sassy They're Funny
You know you shouldn't laugh, but sometimes, you can't help it.
Once a few years ago, my mom told Sophie (who was maybe two at the time) to close the door that led from our laundry room to our garage. She replied "Ne-ver." with her hands on her hips and an almost comical sassy face. It was priceless, and we still laugh about it.

3. Inside Jokes
I wasn't really sure what to call this, but we all know what it is. The funny words, the jokes, and the laughter that follows.
For example, my cousin Will (on my dad's side) says "Poof peef!". Its usually followed by a lot of laughing and/or another word- like "Poof peef blueberry!"
Also, Lily, Sophie and I will say "I... Love.... YOU!" with one starting it and the other two joining in.  Its adorable and warms my heart, especially when they say it with each other.

4. Mispronunciations
The sweetest thing, and occasionally the embarrassing thing, is when little ones (or not-so-little-ones) mispronounce words.
Sophie would call fries "frockees", coffee "Pockee", and balloons were always "ballalloons".
My cousins Violet (Emma and Bailey's youngest sister) calls Lily "Liddy", and their brother Luke used to say "Iddikulus" instead of ridiculous. And I used to call animals "aminals" and say "Dach you" when I meant "Thank you".
Needless to say, most of these words stuck and we use them often, especially when we're joking around.

5. Their embarrassing moments
These are the stories you hide away and tell to embarrass them when they're older.
My parents occasionally talk about the time I drank out of the toilet (I was three, mind you), or the time I threw my dog off of my buck bed and into the pack-n-play because I couldn't get him down, and he broke his leg (I was three or four, then), or how I'd carry cats around against their will because I loved them even though they didn't love me.
Julia was so stubborn, she wouldn't open any Christmas presents when it was her turn- only when everyone else was going (she was two). She also ate dirt  at my cousins house earlier that year (she swears it tasted good).
The embarrassing stories always bring laughter to everyone (although sometimes the person whose story is being told isn't so happy), and eventually they become a regular family joke.

Little kids can be comedy goldmines, and they're always getting into hilarious predicaments.

What is your favorite Little Kid moment? Tell us in the comments!
And send us an email or message if you have any funny kid stories you want us to share!

Kate <3

Oh, and P.S. We'll be posting a new article every Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Every time I see my little cousin, Will, he'll call me 'Jupia' instead of Julia. And another time at grandma and grandpa's house he (Will) was telling everyone to clean up the thunder and then hide because there was going to be stupid thunder and nice thunder and nunu thunder and cookie

    ReplyDelete